Saturday, January 1, 2011

A New Year's Resolution - Celebrating hand-made, repurposing old stuff and finding new reasons to love what you already own.



My New Year's resolution for 2011 is to make what I would otherwise buy.  Granted of course, that I can make a comparable, functional and reasonable version of that particular thing.

I daresay I will be screaming for a shopping binge after a couple of months, but that's what's fun about making a new year's resolution.  Its something well-intentioned, not completely thought through, with somewhat dubious chances of success.

For example, take this pair of slippers I made for Eden from a repurposed wool sweater.  Its a pattern from Betz White's lovely book, Sewing Green (note: it needed a fair bit of doctoring to get it to a child's size). I found one of my "so-very-yesterday" sweaters, felted it in a hot wash cycle, sewed it up and voila!

But all the good intention in the world won't get those slippers onto my toddler's feet.  Eden took her first look at them, and screamed, "No!" and ran in the opposite direction.

Its completely baffling because those are her favorite colors, she loves all kinds of booties/boots, and its soft, cozy and so darn cute.  See what I mean about new year's resolutions?  You can make them, but then life intervenes.

I had to buy Eden new slippers.

2 comments:

  1. Who says everything good in life has to be functional and practical? You keep dreaming and creating, girlfriend! I can't wait to meet again

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just checked out your blog. Very neat! Thanks for the note. And for sure, we'll meet up again soon.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...